I am a grandmother paddling alone over 2,500 miles from Maine to Guatemala. Along the way I will be:
- telling the story of the children who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community
- honoring their entrepreneurial mothers
- talking about the success of the Safe Passage model school and
- raising funds for additional grades for the school.

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Storms, Rashes and Blisters

Glad to be sitting this storm out in comfort
Glad I arrived a day early to New Castle.  Means I didn't have to paddle through this storm.   Inclement weather is so much more enjoyable when sitting on a lovely deck on shore!

At the Portsmouth Yacht Club with my wonderful New Castle hosts, Joan and Leonard
Before the storm, I had a great dinner at the Portsmouth Yacht Club with my new Rotary friends, Joan and Leonard.  It was so worthwhile to talk about the upcoming waters with people who know them well.  The only downside is that everyone shares their most harrowing experience for each section of the coast, making it sound like each coming stretch is ever more terrifying.

Joan's Rotary Club, the Seacoast Rotary Club, made a wonderful offer this morning.  The club is matching every donation to Safe Passage from their members.  What generosity!  I'm looking forward to lunch next at Leonard's Portsmouth Rotary Club.

This afternoon I'll be paddling with Willem Lange followed by a film crew from NH Public TV as they film a segment about the expedition for Willem's "Window's to the Wild" show.   He also paddles in the Arctic, so I'm looking forward to sharing stories!

You don't want to see any pictures for the rest of today's topics.  I'm used to getting a few blisters at the beginning of the paddling season until the calluses build up, so those finger blisters are no surprise.

The rash on both forearms is a little disconcerting.  I thought it was just heat rash, but it persisted too long for that.  Maybe it's a salt water rash, as it's on the area under my neoprene top that gets the most salt buildup.  Maybe it's a reaction to the chemical rinse my NRS hydroskins were soaked in a few days ago by a helpful kayaker.  Washed the hydroskins in a washing machine for the first time, and that may help.

I've never had this problem before as I've always used a short sleeve neoprene top, rather than my new long sleeve one.  Hope I don't have to cut the arms off, as I like the extra protection when I'm out there on the cold water in the winds.

Two days of not paddling as I sit out the front moving through and speak at a variety of locations is helping.  Maybe I'll just need to rinse my hydroskins out in freshwater every night.

Any advice from you paddlers and sailers out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment